To kick off the new year, I wanted to find a way to simplify the concepts of photography, bring some of them down to the comprehension level of a child. Because you are never too young to enjoy photography. My toddler, Toby, is proof of that. And I’m sure many of you can vouch for the fact that your child has snagged a smartphone to take a plethora of snapshots, or a horrendously long candid video — of your purse.
Now, photographic education is a lifelong pursuit. I’ve been studying photography for …gee, longer than I care to admit — and I still haven’t learned it all. So, I figured we could just touch on the basics. Or, some of the basics. Twenty-six of them, to be specific.
Over the weeks to come, I’ll be covering the ABCs of Photography, designed as an educational series for kids. There will be some suggestions about adaptations for younger children as well as older kids — but the vast majority of this series will be designed for enjoyment by all ages.
The master list of my Photography ABCs is below; I will add links as each goes live. But you can also browse them all by the tag: Photography ABCs. (for those interested, the web has a number of “master lists” of photographic vocabulary terms).
- A is for Aperture – Learn About Aperture Using a Simplified DIY Model Camera
- B is for Bokeh – Learn About Bokeh (a simple hands on experiment for any age)
- C is for Camera Obscura – Learn About Cameras: Make a Camera Obscura
- D is for Double Exposure- Learn About Double Exposure
- E is for Existing Light – Learn About Existing Light (Scavenger Hunt with Free Printable!)
- (E is also for Exposure – Learn About Exposure)
- F is for Flash – Learn about Flash with 3 fun activities!
- G is for Grayscale – Learn about Grayscale (printable coloring page!)
- H is for Hue – Learn About Hue (+printable)
- J is for Jaggies – Learn About Jaggies (Graph Paper Coloring Activity)
- K is for Keylight – Learn About Key (High Key + Low Key)
- L is for Lens – How Lenses Work (Kid Friendly Activities!)
- M is for Macro – Learn About Macro
- N is for Negative – Learn About Negative (plus coloring page printable)
- O is for Overexposure – Learn About Overexposure (camera activity for kids!)
- P is for Perspective – Learn About Perspective (hands on camera activity for kids)
- Q is for Quality (of Light) – Learn about Quality of Light (a kid-friendly experiment!)
- R is for Rule of Thirds – Learn about the Rule of Thirds (a fun snack activity for kids!)
- S is for Shutter Speed
- T is for Time Laps
- U is for Underexposure
- V is for Vignette
- W is for White Balance
- X is for X-Ray
- Y is for Yellowing
- Z is for Zoom / Zone System